Perhaps the biggest obstacle to weight loss, for most folks, is the idea of overeating. Overeating in the most basic sense means taking in more calories in a given day than what you are going to burn. Overeating occurs for a number of reasons, most of which can simply be addressed through understanding some things about nutrition, portion size, and more.
Perhaps the biggest reason for overeating, however, is appetite. If you can control your appetite, you’ll find that your weight loss goals are much more readily achievable.
Here are a handful of things you can do to help control your appetite and to keep from overeating:
- Spread your calories out throughout the day. If you skimp during the day to save up your calories for later on in the day, you’re going to be hungrier when you get to that point later in the day. This is a perfect recipe to have overeating. Don’t skip any meals in order to have a bigger meal later on, because it will almost always backfire on you.
- Eat your breakfast. Your mom was right: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. By eating breakfast, you will keep your cravings under control throughout the day. You’ll also increase your energy levels. Studies have proven that people on a weight loss program who eat breakfast tend to have better success than those that don’t.
- Drink your water. Drinking water throughout the day will help you to feel less hungry. It will also help you to avoid dehydration, which can also add to your hunger. Simply being hydrated will make you feel more full, and keep you from eating when you’re not really hungry.
- Sleep. Getting enough sleep at night has a number of health benefits, not the least of which is helping with weight loss. When you’re tired, you’re more likely to try to consume foods that are high in carbohydrates in order to increase your energy levels. Instead, simply going to be half an hour earlier may be all that you need.
- Eat deliberately. Pace your caloric intake out throughout your day. Eat on a precise schedule. This will allow you to feel less hungry throughout the day. It will also keep you from giving in to unplanned cravings. Try to eat every five hours or so, and focus on eating more balanced meals in terms of caloric intake rather than eating three large meals.